Tuesday, 1 November 2011

How to learn?

Today I became interested in learning application server administrative concepts. Since I am a Java Developer, I am familiar with Weblogic and JBoss servers and how to start/stop, deployapplications etc. To learn more administration stuff, I went through Oracle weblogic documentationand I totally lost!!! There is simply too much information, links, sub-links, sub-sub-links atmultiple levels. I got confused and sleepy. Just then I realized that, I cannot learn this byrote or by memorization. This is to be learned by really administering it. My current job rolemay not give me full control to administrate an application server, I decided not to bother mybrain anymore and learn must be need basis.
In my case, always its proven that learning is need basis. For example, I need to learn how tosetup a Datasource, then quickly I will spend couple of hours reading datasource configurationand prepare steps to be followed. I will execute those steps in the test environment, make changesto steps as and when needed. Finally, after thorough review by peers, the steps will be executedin production environment. So, I learned datasource configuration this way. In the same way, Ilearned jQuery as my previous job needed it.
So the rule is to learn as demand arises.

No comments:

Post a Comment